Brentford 2-0 Sheffield United – Report

In a captivating clash in the capital, Sheffield United’s hopes were dashed as they succumbed to a 2-0 defeat against Brentford, despite putting up a spirited fight.

Brentford, seeking solace from their recent Premier League woes, found redemption as they overcame Sheffield United to clinch their first victory in 10 games, and ultimately alleviating their relegation concerns. Meanwhile, Sheffield United’s woes compounded as they remain rooted to the bottom, edging closer to a swift return to the Championship.

In the second half, desperately unlucky goal from Oliver Arblaster and a cool finish from Frank Onyeka was enough to give the Bees all three points on Saturday afternoon.

Brentford celebrate their second goal against Sheffield United.


Brentford: Flekken, Maupay (Lewis-Potter 79), Jensen (Onyeka 90), Wissa (Pinnock 90), Reguilion, Zanka, Mbeumo (Schade 90), Collins, Damsgaard (Yarmoliuk 79), Janelt, Roerslev.

Unused: Strakosha, Ghoddos, Toney, Baptiste.

Blades: Grbic, Trusty, Hamer, McBurnie, Brereton-Diaz, Ahmedhodzic, Bogle (Archer 76), Osborn, Arblaster, Larouci (McAtee 57), Holgate (Slimane 90).

Unused: Foderingham, Norwood, Souza, Curtis, Osula, Brooks.

First half

Sheffield United kicked off brightly, dictating proceedings in the initial exchanges. However, the intensity of the encounter was evident early on as Brentford’s Neal Maupay found himself in the referee’s book for halting a threatening Jayden Bogle surge into their half of the pitch.

The game’s first real chance came through a blistering run from Ben Brereton-Diaz, who sprinted 40 yards into Brentford’s box. Yet, his one-on-one opportunity with Bees’ keeper Mark Flekken lacked the required finesse, squandering a promising opening.

Brentford responded with their own foray forward, with Sergio Reguilon nodding over the bar amidst good defensive pressure from the visitors.

Despite Brentford’s increasing dominance in possession, clear-cut chances remained scarce. Neal Maupay spurned their best chance of the half, failing to hit the target after a defensive lapse from United’s Anel Ahmedhodzic gifted the home side the ball in a promising position.

Second half

The Blades showcased flashes of quality but found themselves undone in the second half. As McBurnie threatened at one end with a blocked shot, Brentford swiftly capitalised on the counterattack to break the deadlock and open the scoring.

A stroke of misfortune just after the hour mark from Oliver Arblaster saw the youngster inadvertently deflect a menacing Mikkel Damsgaard cross into his own net, gifting Brentford the breakthrough.

Shortly after, Brentford celebrated what appeared to be their second goal as Damsgaard expertly dispatched a volley following a well-executed free-kick. However, their joy was short-lived as VAR intervened. Referee Sam Barrott, after consulting the pitchside monitor, ruled that McBurnie had been obstructed by Nathan Collins while attempting to close down the strike, thus disallowing the goal.

United continued to push forward, and in the 73rd minute, Trusty’s lofted cross found Bogle in a promising position. Bogle unleashed a first-time effort towards goal, only to see his shot blocked just as it seemed destined for the back of the net. And the defender was unfortunately forced off with an injury following this passage of play.

Archer was the next in line to threaten for United. Following a brilliant setup by Brereton-Diaz, Archer found himself inside the area and attempted a shot from a tight angle, but unfortunately, he blazed the ball over the bar, missing out on a promising opportunity created by the Chilean.

With time running out, Brentford’s substitute Frank Onyeka put the game to bed, slotting home in the third minute of added time to secure the three points for his side.