Luton Town vs Sheffield United – Preview

Continuing their undefeated streak since the start of the year, a rejuvenated Luton Town squad prepares to host fellow Premier League newcomers Sheffield United at Kenilworth Road for a pivotal showdown at the lower end of the table this Saturday afternoon.

Last weekend saw the Hatters and Newcastle United engage in a thrilling eight-goal match, resulting in a draw. Meanwhile, Chris Wilder’s side endured a humiliating 5-0 defeat at home to Aston Villa.

Both Luton Town and Sheffield United were expected to face relegation come the end of the season, and while that possibility remains, Luton are demonstrating resilience. The Hatters have climbed out of the relegation zone in recent weeks, currently sitting one point ahead of 18th-placed Everton with a game in hand.

Their upturn in form includes three wins from their last six matches, along with two draws and one loss. Since their defeat at the close of 2023, Luton has remained unbeaten for three matches, drawing with Burnley and Newcastle, and securing a 4-0 victory over Brighton.

In contrast, Sheffield United seems destined for the Championship. With just 10 points from their first 23 games, they trail Luton by 10 points. Since their win against Brentford in December, Sheffield United has endured seven winless matches, suffering five losses, including a defeat to Luton in their previous encounter.

Despite a managerial change from Paul Heckingbottom to Chris Wilder at the start of December, the Blades have struggled to reverse their fortunes.

Team news

Marvelous Nakamba continues to be sidelined with a long-term injury for Luton, and the return of Tom Lockyer remains uncertain. Additionally, Mads Andersen is racing against time to recover in order to be available for this upcoming match.

For the Blades, Rhian Brewster is set to make a comeback from suspension for this match, and there’s a possibility of Max Lowe and Oli McBurnie returning from their injuries. However, Ivo Grbic and George Baldock are expected to remain sidelined for this game, as Chris Wilder stated on SUTV.


Sheffield United suffered a 3-2 defeat in the reverse fixture against Luton in December. Notably, they haven’t experienced losses in both league encounters against the Hatters in a single season since the 1976/77 campaign in the second tier.

Oli McBurnie has been a standout performer for Sheffield United this season, contributing with a total of 6 goals and assists combined (4 goals, 2 assists), more than any other Blades player in the Premier League. However, it’s worth noting that Sheffield United have not secured a victory in any game in which McBurnie has scored or assisted.

Additionally, Alfie Doughty has been influential in creating goal-scoring opportunities from corners in the Premier League this season. He has provided the delivery for more goals from corners (not necessarily directly assisting the goal himself) than any other player, with a total of 8.


Based on the probabilities provided by Opta, the most likely outcome of this match is a Luton Town win, with a probability of 48.11%. Following that, a win for Sheffield United is less likely, with a probability of 27.29%. Lastly, a draw between the two teams has a probability of 24.6%.

Tags Preview