Sheffield United 2-3 Luton Town – Report

Sheffield United faced Boxing Day disappointment as Luton Town secured an unlikely away win at Bramall Lane with two late goals.

Alfie Doughty initially gave the Hatters the lead, but goals from Oli McBurnie and Anel Ahmedhodžić in the second half seemed to favour United. However, unfortunate own goals from Jack Robinson and substitute Anis Slimane allowed the visitors to claim victory.

United made four changes for the festive clash, recalling hAhmedhodžić, Hamer, McAtee, and McBurnie, while Norwood and Slimane moved to the bench alongside returning players Brewster and Norrington-Davies.


Blades: Foderingham, Baldock, Trusty, Hamer (Slimane 71), McBurnie, Archer (Brewster 86), Ahmedhodžić, Robinson (Osula 86), Souza (Norwood 86), McAtee, Brooks (Lowe 45).

Unused: A. Davies, Osborn, Norrington-Davies, Seriki.

Luton: Kaminski, Osho, Barkley, Adebayo (Morris 71), Mengi, Brown, Giles (Ogbene 71), Lokonga, Bell, Townsend (Ruddock-Mpanzu 84), Doughty (Andersen 78).

Unused: Shea, Krul, Berry, Woodrow, Chong.

First half

After a slow start, Ahmedhodžić received a booking for a foul on the lively Adebayo. Luton seized the lead on 17 minutes when Doughty outplayed Hamer and squeezed the ball through Foderingham’s legs at the near post.

Sheffield United sought a response, earning a couple of corners. Hamer tested Kaminski with a free kick, and Brooks subsequently fired a shot wide.

The Blades gradually found their rhythm, with McAtee displaying liveliness from the right, but his curling effort missed the far post. Meanwhile, Barkley headed wide at the near post, and Hamer received a caution for a late challenge on Lokonga.

The half concluded with the Blades pressing; Brooks had a shot deflected wide, and Trusty’s header hit the crossbar from the resulting corner.

Second half

Lowe came on for Brooks at halftime, and after Mengi cleared over his own bar from Baldock’s cross, Archer had a chance, thwarted by Lokonga’s last-ditch block. Townsend tested the goalkeeper twice before United equalised just before the hour mark.

McAtee’s forward drive, impeded by Lokonga, didn’t matter as the ball fell to McBurnie, who steadied himself and calmly fired past Kaminski.

Not long after on 69 minutes, Ahmedhodzic applied the finishing touch in a penalty area scramble involving Lowe, Archer, and McAtee, with McBurnie turning provider this time.

The Bramall Lane crowd erupted, but Luton Town found an equaliser against the run of play. Morris’s cross was headed into his own net by Robinson under pressure from Osho. The goal stemmed from a corner which should not have been given, which prompted Baldock to protest, earning a caution. Robinson was also booked for a foul on Ogbene.

Morris created another chance, getting past Ahmedhodžić, and luck turned against Sheffield United once again as Slimane inadvertently redirected the ball into the net over Lowe and Foderingham’s head.

Wilder reacted with a triple change, and Osula almost made an instant impact, but Kaminski denied his acrobatic effort. Eight minutes of injury time were signalled, and despite mounting pressure, the Blades couldn’t secure a deserved leveller. Slimane’s first time shot over from Baldock’s pass was the closest, with Norwood receiving a late booking.

After the game, Rob Edwards was forced to drag his players and staff away from the stands as a section of the home supporters got heated with the Luton Town bench.