Chelsea 2-0 Sheffield United – Report

Sheffield United suffered a defeat during their journey to the capital, as two goals in the second half within a seven-minute span proved to be the deciding factor.

The initial period was relatively balanced, with the Blades causing frustration for the hosts and the Stamford Bridge supporters. However, Cole Palmer broke the deadlock before the hour mark, and shortly thereafter, Nicolas Jackson scored a second goal, securing the victory for the Blues.

Manager Chris Wilder implemented two changes for the trip, bringing Lowe and McBurnie back into the starting lineup. This decision came at the expense of the suspended Robinson and Osula, who was relegated to the bench. Additionally, Baldock and Norwood returned to the matchday squad.

Line ups

Chelsea: Petrovic, Disasi, Badiashile, Silva, Sterling (Broja 75), Mudryk (Enzo 70), Jackson (Gusto 90), Palmer (Maatsen 90), Gallagher, Caicedo, Colwill.

Unused: Bettinelli, Bergstrom, Nkunku, Gilchrist, Matos.

Blades: Foderingham, Lowe, Trusty, Hamer (Slimane 80), McBurnie (Norwood 68), Archer, Ahmedhodžić, Bogle, Souza, McAtee, Brooks (Osula 58).

Unused: Davies, Baldock, Traoré, Thomas, Osborn, Larouci.

First half

Even though Foderingham faced an early corner within the first 60 seconds, he didn’t have to make a save until the 15th minute when he comfortably denied Gallagher’s long-range attempt. On the flip side, Archer’s promising shot took a deflection after Brooks and Hamer successfully won back possession in midfield.

Lowe played a crucial role by making a well-timed block after Mydryk had maneuvered around the back of Bogle. However, the wing-back then executed an overlap with McAtee and delivered an enticing ball that traversed the face of the home goal, earning Sheffield United a third corner as the dangerous Archer posed a threat.

Foderingham quickly came off his line to thwart Jackson’s advancement, and the Senegalese striker subsequently curled a shot wide from distance. McAtee received a booking before that attacking sequence unfolded.

Second half

The second half commenced with Trusty making a crucial block to thwart Palmer, but on the 54th minute, the former Manchester City player combined with Sterling, ultimately firing home to complete a fluid attack. Despite a VAR check for a potential offside in the build-up, the goal stood. In response to conceding, Wilder made a positive substitution, bringing on Osula for Brooks.

However, just moments after the hour mark, Chelsea extended their lead as Jackson applied the finishing touch from Palmer’s low cross. Foderingham couldn’t gather the ball after a combination of Sterling and Gallagher attempted to force it home.

Hamer received a caution before being denied from a free kick by Petrovic. Osula had the ball in the net shortly after, but it was ruled out as McAtee forced his way to the byline but ran out of real estate.

Lowe received a yellow card for a late challenge on Fernandez, and Broja inexplicably missed from under the crossbar with Palmer causing problems down the right. Slimane was introduced late in the game, and Foderingham made a superb double save to deny Jackson on the follow-up after initially parrying Palmer’s free kick.

Six minutes of added time were played, with Archer firing wide from a promising position after getting the better of Silva. United are still without a win on the road.