Wolves 1-0 Sheffield United – Report

Despite facing defeat, Sheffield United displayed several positives as they fought bravely against Wolves, arguably deserving a point from a match that saw moments of openness.

Regrettably, it was Pablo Sarabia’s header in the first half that ultimately sealed the victory for the hosts, despite the Blades dominating much of the second half.

United opted for four changes in their lineup for the encounter in Wolverhampton. Grbić returned as the goalkeeper, while Trusty, Brewster, and Norwood were all given starting positions. This saw Foderingham, Osborn, and Osula relegated to the bench, alongside teenage defender Sasnauskas.


Wolves: Sá, Ait-Nouri (Doyle 77), Mario Jr, Neto, Gomes, Hwang (Bellegarde 85), Dawson, Sarabia (Doherty 90), Semedo, Kilman, Toti.

Unused: Bentley, Bueno, Traoré, Bueno, Chirewa, Fraser.

Blades: Grbić, Trusty, Brewster (Osula 82), Hamer, Ahmedhodžić, Norwood (T. Davies 82), Robinson, Bogle, Souza (McBurnie 82), Larouci (Osborn 72), McAtee.

Unused: Foderingham, Arblaster, Curtis, Brooks, Sasnauskas.

First half

In the initial stages, the hosts asserted dominance by controlling possession and territory, although Grbić faced minimal challenges. In the 19th minute, Robinson’s lengthy throw-in led to two rapid chances, with Dawson blocking Brewster’s attempt with his arm and Sá saving another from Brewster on the rebound.

During counterattacks, the Blades posed a threat, with Brewster connecting with Bogle’s flick but firing over under Toti’s pressure, while McAtee seemed to be fouled at the edge of the box after outmaneuvering Dawson.

The subsequent opportunity saw the Manchester City loanee breaking through, yet his shot was comfortably collected by Sá.

However, at the half-hour mark, it was the home team that seized the lead as Sarabia nodded in from an Ait-Nouri cross, following a phase where Sheffield United had dominated possession and created chances. Before halftime, Toti’s shot was blocked by Trusty, with Sarabia sending an effort over in the ensuing play.

Second half

The Blades emerged aggressively in the second half, earning a couple of early corners and witnessing McAtee’s effort veer wide of the far post after creating space for himself.

At the other end, home supporters clamoured for a penalty as Souza’s arm intercepted the ball inadvertently.

Approaching the hour mark, Brewster was once again thwarted by Sá, this time from a cross by McAtee following a dynamic run by Hamer that transitioned defense into attack.

Following Sarabia’s near-second with a curling attempt, Semedo received a yellow card for impeding Brewster’s progress, while Ahmedhodžić was also cautioned after a prolonged discussion with referee Bond, coinciding with Osborn’s introduction prompting a change in formation.

With nine minutes remaining, an impressive team move saw Ahmedhodžić reaching the byline, but Dawson’s crucial header denied Brewster’s imminent threat.

Pressing for a goal and appearing poised to level the score, manager called upon Osula, McBurnie, and Tom Davies in an attempt to salvage at least a draw.

Despite five minutes of added time, their efforts were futile, although McAtee’s flick from a Robinson long throw nearly found the net.

Although it goes down as another defeat, the performance was much better and the Blades were unlucky to come away from the Molineux without a single point.